Child Custody and Modification

In a Texas divorce, child custody issues can take many forms.  Whatever the issue is, I always treat the case with the same care since I understand that there is no relationship as important as that of a parent and their child.  I am ready to fight to protect the rights of the Father or Mother, but always with the greatest emphasis on what is best for the children in question.  At the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith I can help you with your child custody issues, and I have the skills and experience you need on your side.

Original Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship:  You may be dealing with the initial dissolution of your marriage, and trying to come to an agreement on the terms of visitation for your children.  This is done through the portion of your divorce proceedings called the Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship, or SAPCR for short, and usually leads to the creation of a parenting plan as a part of the final divorce decree issued by the court.  Generally, you are going to be looking at appointing a managing conservator, a possessory conservator, or one of several other variations of standard possession and visitation agreements in Texas.  The standard for these types of decisions is always the child’s best interest.  Courts take many different factors into account when determining what is in the child’s best interest, and it is very important that you have a lawyer who is capable of pleading your case to the court in such a way that your side of the story is clear and understandable. You need competent representation on your side during this phase of your divorce to ensure that your rights and the rights of your children are protected, and at the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith I am confident that I can help you. Call me today for your free consultation to answer your questions about your SAPCR.

Child Custody Modification:  There are many reasons why you would need to modify the child custody portion of your divorce decree.  Perhaps you are trying to move to another town for a job and you need to alter the parenting plan to allow for your children to go with you.  Perhaps there is something about the current situation your children are in that is endangering their mental or physical health or development and you feel the need to do something about it.  Whatever the situation may be, you will need a skilled and experienced attorney to navigate the complex statutory and jurisdictional issues that may arise when attempting to alter the original divorce decree.  Please call me today for your free consultation.  I am ready to answer your questions and I am available nights and weekends for your convenience.

Other issues:  I am also able to help with other issues surrounding the custody of children in Texas such as: determination of paternity, adoption, and possession or access by non-parents.  Call today with your questions, the first consultation is always free.

10.0Shawn H. Smith Shawn H. SmithReviewsout of 11 reviews
Shawn H. Smith
Selected in 2018
Thomson Reuters 
Shawn H. Smith