Child Support and Modification

            The Texas Family Code allows for financial support to be ordered by a court for children until they reach the age of 18 or graduate from high school, whichever happens first.  Child support in Texas is normally based on the income of the person paying, but several factors can impact the amount you either owe or are owed.  Likewise, there are several factors that can impact whether you are the one paying or receiving child support, most of which are resolved during the initial custody determination.  This is why it is of the utmost importance that you contact a family law attorney to help you with your case, and to assure that you are either paying or being paid the correct amount of child support. When you are dealing with issues of child support in San Antonio and surrounding counties, call the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith. I will help you get a child support order that is fair, reasonable, and appropriate for you and your children.

Original Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship:  You may be dealing with the initial dissolution of your marriage, and trying to come to an agreement on the terms of support for your children.  This is done through the portion of your divorce proceedings called the Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship, or SAPCR for short. It is through the determination of the terms of custody that the initial order for child support is made, so this is a very critical time in the establishment of the financial future of both yourself and your children. The standard for these types of decisions is always the child’s best interest.  Courts take many different factors into account when determining what is in the child’s best interest, and it is very important that you have a lawyer who is capable of pleading your case to the court in such a way that your side of the story is clear and understandable. You need competent representation on your side during this phase of your divorce to ensure that your rights and the rights of your children are protected, and at the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith I am confident that I can help you. Call me today for your free consultation to answer your questions about your SAPCR and child support. It is also possible that you may need to file a suit to determine paternity and establish parental responsibility outside the bounds of a divorce, in which case the remedy for you is still basically a SAPCR, and you can come to the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith to help you get what your child deserves. 

Modification of Child Support:  If your situation has changed and you need to change the terms of your child support agreement, you will need skilled legal representation to file a motion to modify your original decree or agreement.  Call my office to determine if you will qualify under Texas law to bring a suit to modify your child support or custody agreement, your first consultation is always free and I am available nights and weekends for your convenience.



10.0Shawn H. Smith Shawn H. SmithReviewsout of 11 reviews
Shawn H. Smith
Selected in 2018
Thomson Reuters 
Shawn H. Smith